Your School Community Needs You
You can work with others in your school community in support of social justice and ensure our students and their families are part of a healthy and thriving community.
- Know the issues. Your local association, AEA and NEA keep you informed about issues that impact your classrooms, students and community. Visit the AEA and NEA websites to learn the latest about school funding, federal education laws, and legislative issues. Talk with your colleagues about the impact of issues on your school and community so you can make an informed decision about how to become part of a movement to make a change.
- Register to vote. Elected officials make most of the decisions that impact our schools and our communities. Luckily, we have power at the ballot box to support candidates who make policies that benefit our students, their families, our profession and our schools. If we fail to participate in the political process, we fail our students, our communities and ourselves.
- Vote. Your vote matters—from school board elections to the election of our next President of the United States. Arizona makes it easy to vote by mail in every election by signing up on the Permanent Early Voter List (PEVL). Ballots will be mailed to your home weeks prior to each local, state, and national election.
- Advocate for change. Civic engagement can directly improve the lives of our students and their families. By working with others on common issues, we can create a supportive environment for our public schools and our profession. Get involved outside your classroom in a cause that will make a difference in your community. Be an example for your students by engaging in civic issues and encouraging your students to work for changes they believe in through their own civic engagement.
Civic Engagement Resources
- Register to Vote Online
Registering to vote online is easy. Register to vote or make changes to your name, address, or party affiliation.
- Sign up for the Permanent Early Voter List (PEVL)
Sign up on line on your county’s elections office. Visit the Arizona Secretary of State website, click on your county, and follow PEVL instructions.
- Learn about Elections in Arizona
Visit the Arizona Secretary of State Election page to learn about upcoming elections.
- Know the Issues
Visit the AEA’s Take Action page to learn about Arizona issues that impact our schools and our communities. Visit NEA’s Smart and Just Policies page to learn about national issues that impact our schools and our communities. Contact your local association leaders to learn about local issues.
- Advocate for Change
The AEA Fund for Public Education is the Political Action Committee (PAC) of the Arizona Education Association to support candidates who support our public schools. Visit the AEA Fund website to view AEA’s recommended candidates for upcoming election and to see information about upcoming events.