- Listen first. What is the member telling you? Take the time to put yourself in their shoes and seek to understand their thoughts. Do you need to take action or simply listen? Conversations are where relationships begin.
- Positive Energy. You will receive the energy that you put into a conversation.
- Meet people where they are. They may be super busy that day or have a million other things on their mind. Sometimes just a quick check in is needed, other times you may decide that you need to go back for a follow up. Be persistent and DO the follow-up conversation. People want to be heard and feel like their voice is valued.
- Share your “why.” Your reason for joining your association is personal and also very powerful. People are much more likely to join and be engaged in the association if they know your reason and can see your passion.
- Find a connection. You will not be able to solve every problem. Honest conversations can open up lines of communication which leads to solutions. Find a place where you can come together, and then get to work.
Become part of the movement improving public education and advocating for better salaries. Together we are the biggest and loudest advocates for our schools, our students, and ourselves.
Keeping the Promise of Quality Public Education
With more than 20,000 members, the Arizona Education Association (AEA) is the largest professional association for public school employees in Arizona. AEA members are teachers, community college professors, counselors, speech pathologists, bus drivers, secretaries, retired educators and student teachers and they belong to more than 150 local affiliates across Arizona.