Arizona educators know how important the 2020 census is for their communities and their schools. Not only does the census makes visible the strength of our communities by counting every student, parent, and family in our country, but an accurate census is critical to ensure our public schools and communities get the resources they need. It determines Arizona’s political influence – as the census will be used to reapportion the 435 seats in the House of Representatives among states – and to redraw legislative and school board districts. That is why our educators in will be engaging their communities on the importance of the census, reminding everyone that participation in the census is safe, important, and necessary.
AEA President Joe Thomas
Specifically, as part of the “We Count” campaign, AEA, along with the National Education Association (NEA):
- Has launched a webpage dedicated to providing educators with resources to help ensure their communities are counted. It can be found at NEA.org/census.
- Will run targeted digital ads encouraging participation in the census.
- Is distributing toolkits to AEA members, which include census-themed posters for classrooms, offices, schools, and campuses, along with other materials to educate students, families and communities on the importance of the 2020 census.
- Will continue working with community partners to promote participation and ensure a complete and accurate count.
- Has encouraged members to continue the decades-long partnership between the U.S. Census Bureau and educators by participating in the Statistics in Schools.